Thursday, August 3, 2017

~ Week 6 ~

NEWSPAPERS

  • Local news comes mostly from social media or word of mouth for me. To be completely honest, local news is not super important to me and I do not pay much attention to the news. It only saddens me and worries me about everything that is happening in the world today. If it is important or big enough, I will see it on social media or hear it from family or friends. As for social media, Instagram and Snapchat are my go-to's. People will post on Instagram about a recent event if they feel strongly enough about it and I will see it there. Snapchat has different stories from different news sites. I mostly watch the DoDo which includes recent news stories involving animals. I do sometimes check out Cosmopolitan and BuzzFeed stories, which catches me up on a few things. My family does receive a newspaper on Sundays, but I never make an effort to read through it to catch up on recent events. I know these are credible because they are all well known news sites that many people look at daily. 
  • I do not subscribe to any online news sources and wouldn't be willing to pay. There are so many credible sites such as MSN, Newspaper Sites, and online TV news, that paying for something "special" would just be pointless and a waste of money to me. With all the free sources to access news, I do not understand who would pay and why they would. It is not worth it to me, but maybe some others think it is worth it to them.
  • I would give myself a 2, but I do blame mostly myself for that. I choose to not keep myself updated on the news of today because most of it is not worth reading about including stuff on celebrity scandals, sports news, or more hatred on Trump. I choose to not waste my time on this type of activity. Because of that, I am not super up to date on what's going on nationwide. In my community, I would say I am though because most of the events around me are just spread by word of mouth. It is not very important to me to be well informed in most of the information. If something ever big enough happens or something that may be a threat to me, I would hear about it through people near me. For example, when a large accident happened in my town, everyone was hearing about it because it was so close to everyone and the people involved were well known. Bigger events, such as nationwide, like ISIS incidents are well talked about situations all over, so I hear about it from others as well. 



FAKE NEWS

  • President Trump is always looking for more publicity. Deeming news stories or companies as "fake" will only cause more news stories of him from those companies, which he wants. He enjoys the publicity and spotlight on himself, whether is be good or bad because either way, people are talking about him. I disagree with the President because I think making certain news stories or companies as a whole seem fake is incorrect. I think that news events may be slightly twisted or changed, just some certain details for different reasons, but not the whole story or company. 
  • I agree with the journalists who believe the president is doing the American public a disservice and harming the democracy and the First Amendment with his attacks on journalism and the free press. I think his claiming of "fake news" and his attacks are just causing more problems for himself. He, out of all people, should be supporting the First Amendment in its entirety, which includes the freedom of journalism. I think, like stated above, he does this to receive more attention from these journalists and the press.
  • In a recent article from the Washington Post, Trump's attacks on free press came back to bite him in the butt. It discusses the things he said against the free press and that "he took on the institution of a free press - and it fought back"(Milbank). As of stating things how it is, he also threatened journalists from writing on him or else he would rewrite the free press laws. Threats are quite the opposite from the comfort we look to our president for. It was mentioned many different times on different Time's articles that had an consequence from Trump. My favorite part, at the very end of the article it states that although Trump may be feeling cornered or drawn, he is experiencing "the power of the free press in a free country" (Milbank). I think that our democracy is weakened by the current state of affairs regarding the media and journalism, only because there's too many hurt feelings involved. The free press is reporting on the latest events, all true and important, yet the people involved are being "hurt" because the truth is spilled and made public, making them look bad. All of the reports are causing consequences to those involved, whether they were in the wrong or not. I think journalism and free press is overall very important and a right given to us, but it can cause issues. It comes down to this - if you (Trump) do not want to be exposed or exploited or attacked for doing certain unfair things, then stop doing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment